Personal branding expert Dan Schawbel just posted this article to Mashable (if you’ve never heard of it, Mashable is a site with tons of social media advice). He outlines seven ways to use social media to land your next job.
His strategy includes everything from LinkedIn and Twitter to advertising your personal brand with Google AdWords and Facebook ads. Here are the basics in list form, but read the full article — it’s a quick read and definitely worth it!
- Research people instead of jobs. Figure out the companies you want to work for, find out who runs their human resources department and contact that person directly, with a personal message.
- Let the jobs come to you by showing your enthusiasm and knowledge of the field through a blog.
- Build a network on Twitter by providing credible, insightful information and commentary about your field.
- Build your network on LinkedIn and make your profile stand out from the crowd.
- Create Google and Facebook ads that succinctly and effectively articulate your brand. The article has a step-by-step process to make sure you include the right information.
- Make a video resume and put it on YouTube. (Take note of Dan’s advice though: If you don’t have a lively, outgoing personality — or just aren’t comfortable in front of the camera — don’t create one.)
- Subscribe to blogs that have job listings. There’s a list in the article. Lots of industry-specific associations also have job boards, so consider adding those to your RSS feed, as well.